Friday, September 11, 2009

Mirror, Mirror

Exactly two presidential terms after the 9/11 attacks, things are repeating or persisting in ways I never would have imagined.

Eight years ago, nineteen Muslim men under the direction of Osama attacked the United States, prompting a final showdown with Hussein.

Today the President of the United States is B. Hussein Obama, the son and stepson of Muslim men. Is this more than a coincidence - a subconsciously motivated choice perhaps by voters who opposed the War on Terror in general, and the invasion of Iraq in particular?

Eight years ago the collapse of the twin towers left an empty, smoldering space in lower Manhattan.

Today Ground Zero is still an empty space. Why do I suspect that, had the attacks occurred in 1931 there would have been a new skyscraper on the skyline by 1939, despite the Great Depression?

Eight years ago we were suffering the consequences of a speculative bubble in the stock market.

Today we are suffering the consequences of an even larger speculative bubble in real estate, the stock market, consumer credit, and skyrocketing national debt.

I can still remember my raw emotion and my view of the future in the days following September 11, 2001, as I watched the smoke rising from the Pentagon, replays of the towers collapsing and people jumping to their deaths. If someone had told me back then where we'd be eight years later, I would have concluded he was nuts.



--------------------------
Update 9/12/2009: It's come to my attention that the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 9605 yesterday (Sept. 11, 2009) and at 9605 eight years earlier on Sept. 10, 2001. (The market was closed on Sept. 11, 2001, so the Dow was frozen in place at the same 9605 level for a week.) That's too weird. There's more mirroring going on than I was even aware of when I named this post.

No comments: